Saturday, October 14, 2006

a lesson learned... reluctantly

I had an interesting experience today. Actually its been going on for quite some time but today it reached the pinnacle.

We’ve been looking at land and such for a while, planning to build a cottage and eventually a permanent home. It commenced with the troubles at the trailer. I was (and am) just so fed up with the neighbours that I want out. Thing is, there’s no way I want to give up having a place like that to escape to.

So we discovered in our search, that waterfront acreage which seems a fair price, is always a swamp. If you want decent waterfront, you’ve got to hand over your first born and maybe a leg or arm. So we decided to see if we could find a decent cottage somewhere, on a small piece of land.

Well, we did. I can’t even begin to describe the place we found. When we turned onto the road, there was a doe standing there. She casually crossed the road and then stood there looking at us. I swear she wasn’t more than 15 feet from me. Stepping into the cottage, I could remember my childhood vacations with my parents to such places and see way into my future, all at once. Its perfect.

The seller lives next door, in a beautiful home (appraised at 390K!!). He’s an artist ("So am I!" I said). Very laid back, quiet, looking for a quiet couple to buy - he really felt he’d found in us just what he was looking for.

Our biggest problem was that the finance company would only mortgage 90%. And we don’t have enough saved up for that big a down payment. My broker tried to find enough equity in our current home to cover it but we just haven’t been here long enough. We thought of a few places to borrow it from, the seller even wanted to try to help, but for the lender, it has to be gifted to us. Otherwise, I’d just put the whole she-bang on the visa. So it would have been "gifted" for the bank, with a contract to pay back hidden on the side, therefore adding another monthly payment to the new mortgage, insurance, and taxes, etc.

When we got home I decided to go over some bank statements to see where we stand. Well, we can afford it, but we wouldn’t be able to save very much. And at our age, we need to start some heavy duty loading of the RRSPs. The saying goes: "I’m financially set for life, as long as I die next week". Not to mention student loans, the new car, blah, blah, blah.

So, with an equal mix of reluctance and relief, we decided not to buy. I called the seller right away; he was holding the place for us (there have been about 14,000 hits to his on-line ad). He understood. Offered again to try to help us, but could see my point that its just not a good time. We will stay in touch, and I plan to visit his studio.

I hung up the phone and burst into tears.

Hubby said: "I have to ask, have you been taking your medication?"

This almost earned him a kick in the teeth, but he’s just worried and was really surprised at my reaction. I don’t think he realized how moved I was by the place.

Then he said: "Jeez, if you love it that much, maybe we should buy it."

Another kick in the teeth. Fuck.

A little compassion surfaced after that and I pulled myself together. So I guess I’ve learned that doubling your current debt load isn’t a great idea - perhaps unless you’re bringing in about 4 times what’s going out. So we’ll stick with the trailer, for now, get a grip on frivolous spending, hammer some debt down, send some more cash to our financial advisor, and go back to shopping for a home theater. Maybe for Xmas. Fuck - after all this, we gotta buy something.

5 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Blogger roman said...

Taking on a very heavy debt is a sure way of making a mess out of one's life. It is so easy to become a 24/7 debt slave. We all take it for granted that our financial situations will change for the better in the future. Alas there are no guarantees for this and far too often the unexpected prevails. Be comfortable with your difficult decision, I'm sure it was the right one because you followed your instincts.
WOW, I'm a regular Dr.Phil.

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Pete said...

Boo

Looks like you have been having an unwanted week of tension. I'm pretty sure you'll eventually find a cottage at a better price.

I'm trying to sell my house in a flat, even declining, market. That ain't fun either.

Roman is right. Its best not to overcommit in debt. There's a good chance that interest rates will rise (in North America and Australia) due to heightened demand from South Korean nuclear escapees buying up land in "safe" countries. Best not to have a dirty great debt under those conditions.

Pete

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger billie said...

better to be practical than give in to emotion. trust me. we bought the building that we have always lived in as a rental property. i have lived in the same 6 room apartment for 10 years and have all but given up on the idea of having my own home some day. i mean i own the apartment- but i mean a house with some honest to goodness room in it. it just isn't feasible if we want to have money when we can no longer work. face it- none of us are getting any younger :)i'm sorry about your cottage. i can picture it from your description. the bright side is- you have a potential friend out of the deal and an artist friend to boot!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Boo said...

Thanks friends, for the sympathy and your agreement that we did the right thing.

I think we've come out of this with a wary eye towards spending (I couldn't believe how much $ was going out that we couldn't account for), and a drive to get ourselves to a place where we CAN make something like this work.

And Bet, Dave's blog gave me some perspective too - it can always be worse.

Hugs everybody.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger nancycle said...

My last comment didn't show up...I'll try again.

((HUGS))

sorry it didn't work out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home