Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Dad@Somewhere.com

Happy Birthday Dad.

You'd have been 68 today. I just can't believe how many years I've lived without you.

Its an interesting thing to be an atheist and believe there's more to life than this existence. I like to think of it as an evolution - a part of us moves up the ladder when we die. I have to tell myself that though, because I can't stand thinking you're just gone.

I went to university - at 29 no less! And graduated with distinction... a B.Sc. You'd have loved to study my geology with me - we could have gone fossil hunting on Manitoulin Island together. Now I do environmental research. You'd be so proud of me.

I wish you knew my husband. Even more, I wish he'd known you. I think you'd have been buddies. Working my way through life without a Dad has been really hard, but I've turned out okay. Its wierd to think that if things had been different, if you'd never gotten sick, my life would be totally different. Every decision may have followed a different path and I'd be who-knows-where right now.

So would I like to be who-knows-where with a Dad? Or here, happy and proud of myself and my accomplishments without one? That's an unanswerable question. In more ways than I can count. But you'd love the way I turned out.

And this atheist, very deep down, thinks you are proud, and keeping an eye on me. From somewhere.

I love you,
and I miss you,
Boo

8 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie. I am certain he is proud of you. I can't believe it has been so long.

Take care ((hugs))

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger G_in_AL said...

My wife lost her father when she was in high school. She still has a hard time with it sometimes. I'm glad you can write about it, and I hope it helps.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Boo said...

Neeroc: thanks - I know you get it.

G. I feel for her. I was 17.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger roman said...

A tender age to loose a dad. Time heals MOST wounds. Some become part of who we are.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Boo said...

Yes - it never gets any easier (even after almost 20 years), the sad times just get further and further apart, and the good times can often be remembered without pain.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger G_in_AL said...

My wife is just a little younger than you.... lol, you've dated yourself there dear.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Boo said...

oh well... it doesn't matter cause I've decided I'm sticking on this one. :D

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger nancycle said...

Oh.

}i{

Beautiful. I have always loved that picture.

Hi Rudy.

"If you think you're doing something wrong, you probably are"

Elmer's Glue.

I love your dad Boo. Talk about one of the "Great Men" ... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home