Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The world is coming apart...

So much happening in the world. I'm becoming a news junkie. Not that I wasn't before, but I think its getting worse. The current Israeli-Arab conflict is mind-boggling. Hezbollah cross a UN-imposed border to start killing Israeli soldiers and lobbing missiles into Israeli cities. Not to be outdone, Israel starts sending them right back, killing civilians and, what do you know, Canadians. How the hell can there be 50,000 Canadians in Lebanon? That just blows my mind. I suppose its something I haven't thought of before - although I'm used to hearing there's a few hundred, or maybe a thousand Canadians in an area experiencing trouble (like when the Tsunami struck). So apparently most of these people actually live in Lebanon full time, and were in Canada just long enough to get citizenship. I'm sitting on the fence about whether my tax dollars should pay to bring them to Canada. Then again, how can you be against saving lives?

Now stack on top of that North Korea testing long range missiles, and Iran continuing a nuclear program, and Palestinians blowing themselves up, and Canadians fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan (who are also blowing up people in India), Osama (need I say more), Nigeria... and the list goes on.

Taken together, this is a scary picture. Time to find that piece of land way way out in the middle of nowhere, stock up a few provisions, and be ready to go at a moments notice. This is gonna get worse before it gets better.

Funny, suddenly everything else I had to say is pretty immaterial. Maybe when the air raid sirens stop in those countries, and civilians stop dying, I'll hit another topic. Until then, since I don't pray, and I think the primary cause of this is religion, I'll have to just keep my fingers crossed that it ends soon.

3 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger G_in_AL said...

The world does seem poised at the edge. But, have hope, we've been here before. heck, we've been worse, but the info age makes it all in living color at home.

btw, the 50k Canadians are mostly dual citizens. Most folks in that region of the world take off out of their home nations, go to college in the US/Canada/UK/Europe, then come back with dual citizenships.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger nancycle said...

Dumb asses. When will they ever learn...

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Boo said...

I commend our Prime Minister for going to get Canadians HIMSELF from Cyprus. And whether they were here for university or to escape a war for a few years - I don't care - we're saving lives, that's all that matters. Not how they got their citizenships.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home