Friday, December 08, 2006

TGIF

Sometimes I wonder what compels us/me to watch the news.

I seem to have this need to know what’s happening in the world. No matter how much it frustrates me. But to what end? So I can be really upset and angry over things I can’t possibly do anything about?

I don’t “go quietly” either. When I can write a letter/support a cause, I do, but the “people in charge” still do stupid shit.

Hubby and I don’t see eye-to-eye on a lot of issues either. He’s much more conservative than I. We actually had a big yelling match over PM Harper trying to reopen the gay marriage debate. Makes me wonder if paying attention is worth it.

There are a great deal of issues out there that I don’t believe should be issues. I’ve expressed before that I strongly support the separation of church and state. Take that a step further and I strongly feel that anything grounded in science should not be up for debate.

Here’s some examples:

Evolution. This is now a scientifically proven fact. Every thing else is religion.

Stem cells. These are embryonic and are harvested when the embryo is nothing but a little ball of cells. The life/soul issue is religion.

Abortion. In addition to being a fundamental human right, science tells us that a few weeks’ old fetus is not conscious, feeling, etc. To me, if you feel abortion is taking a life, then picking an apple is taking a life, because the apple feels and thinks about as much as a fetus at that stage. Again, the life/soul issue is religion.

Gay Marriage. This is a human right. “Gay” is not a choice or a disease. Not ‘allowing’ gay marriage is the same as not allowing black people to marry, or Chinese people, just because they’re different in some small way genetically. Every other argument is religion.

I have no problem with people expressing their faith. But don’t mix it with legislation.

And why the hell do people have such a problem with organ donation? You can easily save at least 9 or 10 lives by signing that card. Do you really need those parts after you’re dead? Are you going to know they’re missing somehow? Gimme a break. How could anyone not want to save lives?

I think I’d like a job in the Auditor General’s office. Exposing the rampant waste of taxpayer money would be fun. I really think so. It’d be like shaking your fist and yelling “You dumb fucks!!! What the hell do you think you’re doing!!!” and having someone actually listen.

I don’t remember the last time I was this glad its Friday. This week has been seriously hellish. And really friggin cold. Physically I feel like shit, I have no interest whatsoever in Xmas. I don’t want to decorate, I don’t want to shop, I don’t want to do anything. I think the next person that pisses me off is really going to regret it. Bummer that its usually my husband.

I’m supposed to visit a friend tonight. Friday nights are bad for me. She’s gathering some girlfriends to help her sort out some ‘man problems’. She wanted us to bring a list of good things about our hubbies.

**Nan, I love you dearly, and would be there in a flash if you needed me, but this is so out of my realm its just about in another universe. You have this deep spiritual thing about you now, and after all these years you gotta know I haven’t got a spiritual bone in my body. Despite all the years we’ve been friends, we’ve really turned out as two very different people. You and I don’t see eye-to-eye anymore on many things. Its not that there aren’t a 1000 great things I can say about my man, and he knows it, I’m just not the type to sit around with a gaggle of girls discussing them. The way that I see relationships isn’t going to help you.**

So I hope being a no-show doesn’t cause too much trouble. But tonight, I just want to hug my dog. Okay, and my hubby. And I’ll be watching the news. No matter how painful.

4 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger nancycle said...

No worries.

We had tons of yummy treats to eat. Mostly we ate and talked about current events. Canada has some singing coming up, ML is doing a great job raising her step daughter and T is learning how to be a lawyer and a mom to a young girl at the same time.

You were missed.

Merry Christmas Boo,
Nancy

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Boo said...

I'm glad you understand, or at least aren't angry. I meant it when I said I'd be there in a flash if you needed me.

Love you

(p.s. I was in bed at 9:30 - I'm turning into an old lady)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger nancycle said...

It was nicer than saying

FUCK YOU.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Boo said...

you won't ever hear that from me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home